Crash a RISC machine from user-mode code:

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Aug 10 00:33:41 AEST 1990

In article <1826 at mountn.dec.com> akhiani at ricks.enet.dec.com (Homayoon Akhiani) writes:
> OK. Here is a quick summary of the HOW TO CRASH A RISC machine from
> a USER-MODE program test. Reports have arrived that all of these machines
> can be crashed using CRASHME.C:
> IBM RT, MIPS, DECSTATION 5000, SPARC.

> On the two CISC architectures tried, VAX/VMS and SUN-3, the program
> either completed or exited with a core or register dump, as expected.

On the 80386 in either 80386 protected mode or 80286 protected mode the
program crashed the system. On the machine running in 80286 mode it was
caught by the kernel debugger, but I was not able to restart and get a ^C
in to stop the program before it crashed again.

Ah, Intel. Tests on a 68000 (yes, a real 68000) running System V.2 will
be done shortly.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`