Determining C Complexity

Dave Straker daves at hpopd.HP.COM
Fri Aug 3 21:02:18 AEST 1990

>In article <1990Jul26.165322.2729 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>In article <2592 at dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright at Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>>>In my experience, metrics are completely useless...
>>
>>I concur.  Code metrics, like line counts and structure charts and a zillion
>>other programming fads, are an attempt to substitute rules and procedures
>>for adequate resources and competence.  Bureaucrats cling to the belief

When illuminati like Walter and Henry say such things I despair!
I concur more with Tom DeMarco:

"You can't control what you can't measure"
"A useful metric is measurable, independent, accountable and precise"
"Measuring any project parameter and attaching evident significance to it
will affect the usefulness of that parameter"
"Rational, competent men and women can work effectively to maximise
*any single observed* indication of success"

Metrics are not perfect, but when properly understood they can help
better decisions to be made.

Dave Straker            Pinewood Information Systems Division (PWD not PISD)
[8-{)                   HPDESK: David Straker/HP1600/01
                        Unix:   daves at hpopd.hp.com