Wanted -- ambiguous lookup routine.

krill are yummy and krunchy mikey at ontek.com
Sat Aug 11 04:34:13 AEST 1990

In comp.lang.c and comp.sources.wanted,
  gisle at ifi.uio.no (Gisle Hannemyr) writes:

| I want to look up a string using an unambiguous abbreviation of the words
| in the string.
|
| Does anyone have a fast C routine that do the above, or know a
| clever algorithm to accomplish it.  My main requirement is speed.

The algorithm for determining whether the strings match is trivially
simple: loop over calls to strchr(), where the first parameter steps
through the "long" string and the second steps through the "short"
string.  If the short string is consumed first, there is a match; if
the long string is consumed first, there is no match.  Naturally, if
the "long" string has fewer characters than the "short" string, there
can be no match.

The issue of ambiguity is best solved by maintaining a list of all
the matches and then presenting that list to the user and letting
him or her choose.  A simpler and less user-friendly solution would
be to simply count the matches as you go and abort when the count
reaches two.

As for speed of execution, the above algorithm should work suitably
fast if the list is really in RAM.  If the list is so big that most
of it is sitting on a swap device somewhere, the disk access time
may overshadow the time spent checking the strings themselves.  A
solution I've often adopted is to add one more constraint to the
search: the first character of the two strings must match exactly.
Then sort the list and do a binary search on the first char and scan
upwards for matches giving up when you get to the next letter of the
ascii alphabet.

| Please mail your replies if possible.  I do not read these groups
| regularly.

I feel like posting it anyway.  Phblt.  (pbuh)

          love,
            mikey