Using Macros

Bernard Farrell farrell at onedge.enet.dec.com
Wed Aug 8 05:54:51 AEST 1990

In article <10836 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, volpe at underdog.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes...

(in reference to a construct like)

	if (blah)
	{
	    stmt1;
	    stmt2;
	};

>Can someone with a copy of the Standard tell us if a semicolon is
>allowed? K&R2 is vague on the issue ("there is no semicolon after the
>closing brace". Does this mean "no semicolon necessary" or
>"no semicolon allowed"?).

The Standard simply comments on the Null statement in 3.6.3 as one that
"performs no operations".   There is no reference to Null statements in
the context of Block statements, 3.6.2., nor would I expect there
to be because the fact that the statement has a curly brace in front of
it really shouldn't modify it's meaning.

I believe K&R (n) was probably placating Pascal converts, and meant
no semicolon necessary.

Bernard Farrell                |
  farrell at onedge.enet.dec.com  | Strange but true:
 often on the move so try      |   These thoughts are my own invention,
 home: (617) 332-6203          |   I wish I could blame someone else for