Crash a RISC machine from user-mode code:

merriman at ccavax.camb.com merriman at ccavax.camb.com
Sat Aug 11 12:47:14 AEST 1990

In article <49041 at seismo.CSS.GOV>,
    stead at beno.CSS.GOV (Richard Stead) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> Who could possibly care
> that a random instruction sequence crashes a risc box?

Some villain wanting to mount a denial-of-service attack.
And if certain strange instruction sequences can bypass the operating
system and hardware protections which are supposed to prevent this sort
of thing, perhaps there are other sequences which will do even more insidious
things, like allow a guest account to become superuser.
Remember the Internet Worm.
[more stuff deleted]

> Richard Stead
> stead at seismo.css.gov

George Merriman
(I hope my bank does not use unix to keep track of MY money!)