Implementation of pow(3m) function

Marcus Leech mleech at bcarh342.bnr.ca
Thu Aug 2 22:07:06 AEST 1990

I recently received a complaint from a user about the CPU-hungriness
  of the pow(3m) function in the UNIX C library.
I'm wondering about the efficiency of "standard" implementations of this
  (and other) math library functions for C.  Does pow(3m) conventionally
  use a logarithm table, or is it (ugh!) iterative, or some B.O.T?