Keys

Mark W. Schumann catfood at NCoast.ORG
Fri Aug 17 07:46:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug16.160043.20584 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> vvcns at mars.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>     I was wondering if anybody knows how to make a program accept input
>from the keyboard without the user pressing the return key.  For example,
>if a user is asked a yes or no question and s/he types a y, the program
>will continue as if return was pressed.  I am working on a VAX/VMS system
>v5.1.  I would appreciate any help.

Actually, this is not exactly a C question.  C thinks 'stdin' is
a stream of bytes, not a keyboard.  Some operating systems buffer
all keystrokes until <ENTER> or some such is struck, and on those
systems there is no way to do what you are asking.  (CPF/400 on
the IBM AS/400 is one notable example near and dear to my heart.)

On VMX 5.1, you can use getch() or one of the runtime library
functions.  Try HELP Run-Time to get started.

Good luck!

Mark W. Schumann  3111 Mapledale Avenue, Cleveland 44109 USA
Domain: catfood at ncoast.org
UseNet: ...usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!catfood