structure assignment, why you would want to do it

Jens Tingleff jensting at skinfaxe.diku.dk
Mon Aug 27 04:54:47 AEST 1990

demon at desire.wright.edu writes:

>In article <3615 at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>> In article <352 at saxony.pa.reuter.COM>, dgil at pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
>> : In <1081.26d26274 at desire.wright.edu> demon at desire.wright.edu writes:
[...]
>	Thanx!  Everyone wondered why I asked it.  If you are doing
>transformations/similar math stuff or (like I'm doing) vehicle position updates
>for a military simulation, you'd like to be able to say

>pres_location += current_move;

Yes, certainly, what next ? multiplication ? (I hear that FORTRAN {8|9}x
got this one "wrong", i.e. a matrix multiplication is an element by
element multiplication, not the 'lin. algebra' multiplication).

The point is that the semantics become non intuitive after a while.
Anyway, what's wrong with C++ ?

	Jens

Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits