Problems with IBM RS6000 C compiler

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Mon Aug 6 17:52:09 AEST 1990

In article <476 at mtndew.UUCP> friedl at mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Hi folks,
Hi Steve.  Say hello to Jeff for me.

>	extern int stat(char *filename, struct stat *stptr);
>Shouldn't the "filename" argument be const qualified?

Suppose someone has a call of the form
  x = stat("myfile", &my_stat);
or
  x = stat(my_mallocked_buffer_p, &my_stat);

stat is not defined by ANSI, so either way, it would not violate ANSI.
But if const is included, it would break a lot of code that presently
works under Unix(tm) operating system.  (I'm not sure what Posix(tm?)
standards say.)  'Fraid I have to disagree with Karl Heuer's answer!

Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC     diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
This is me speaking.  If you want to hear the company speak, you need DECtalk.