Semantic defintions in standards

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Aug 9 01:34:48 AEST 1990

In article <652 at garth.UUCP> smryan at garth.UUCP (sous-realiste) writes:
>>What is the status of attempts at the latest standard? What
>>methods are used to specify semantics? Are there any attempts to use
>>any of the ``formal semantics'' methods?
>
>Or even formal syntax?

Formal syntax notations are normal nowadays (well, I can't speak for
the Fortran people :-), but they're normal everywhere else).  That does
not necessarily mean a yacc grammar, mind you, as there are a lot of
variations on good old BNF.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry