TRUE and FALSE

Jay A. Konigsberg jak at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
Thu Aug 30 08:58:09 AEST 1990

In article <2316 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In <514 at demott.COM> kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>>
>>TRUE and FALSE are used for assignment purposes only.  It makes
>>the intent of the code more obvious.
>
>When I find somebody who really, really, really wants to define TRUE
>and FALSE, even somebody who uses them for assignment only, I recommend
>the following defines instead:
>
>     #define ZERO   0
>     #define ONE    1
>
>These are so much more clear than TRUE and FALSE, and if you use
>them in a test, you know exactly what you're testing!
>--

Pish-posh! TRUE and FALSE are much clearer. Kevin is correct when
he says TRUE and FALSE are used for assignment purposes only. The
resulting values are then easly checked in standard C syntax making
the code more self-documentating.

Personally though, I like the following:

#define TRUE -1

Why? Because of the following 8 bit pattern:

 1: 01111111
-1: 11111111

I mean, after all, if I'm going to set one I might as well set all :-)