Array bounds checking with C????

George Turczynski george at hls0.hls.oz
Thu Aug 30 11:04:04 AEST 1990

In article <7611 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, kuan at iris.ucdavis.edu (Frank [Who me?] Kuan) writes:

> 	Why is it that most C compilers don't seem to support this
> 	nifty little feature?

Because most C compilers assume you know what you're doing :-)

> 	I'm working on a large project, and two of the worst debugging
> 	nightmares I've had were due to memory being overwritten from
> 	over indexing an array.

Array bounds, along with typos,  should be one of the first things you
check when looking for (discrete) bugs, though I guess you know that
now !

> 	I was thinking about writing some kind of preprocessor to
> 	check for this. Has anyone already written something like
> 	this?

What is it that you want ?  Something to check your array indexing
variables at compile-time ?  In most cases, this is _possible_, but in
others it's impossible.  If you want code generated to check array
indexing at run-time, then your code will run slower, which is why
C compilers don't do it.  We want the fastest possible code we can
get !

If you want these sorts of features, use PASCAL :-)

--
| Computer Systems Engineer.        | ACSnet: george at highland.oz | I can't speak for the |
| Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.          | Phone: +61 48 683490       | company, I can barely |
| Suite 1, 348-354 Argyle St        | Fax:   +61 48 683474       | speak for myself...   |