Novice MicroSoft C5.1 question

John Baldwin johnb at srchtec.UUCP
Fri Aug 10 00:14:15 AEST 1990

In article <1906 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
(diamond at tkovoa) writes:

>Well, the last draft did define %P instead of %p, but that appears to be
>a typo.  Aside from the place where it's defined, they refer to it as %p.

Okay, it can happen to the best of us (and I am NOT the best of us :) :) :)).
I missed the fact that they *DID* put the pointer-format representation
into the ANSI printf().  In fact, Michael Meissner at OSF (the guy who got
X3J11 to include '%p') was kind enough to point this out.

THIS solves a lot of problems for portability, and I for one am very glad
I was wrong (I've been grumbling all this time about not being able to
portably print pointers).
    [p'p'p'-- say THAT 5 times fast!]

John T. Baldwin                      |  johnb at srchtec.uucp
Search Technology, Inc.              |  johnb%srchtec.uucp at mathcs.emory.edu
standard disclaimer:                 |  ...uunet!samsung!emory!stiatl!srchtec..
opinions and mistakes purely my own. |  ...mailrus!gatech!stiatl!srchtec...