How to force cpp to abort?

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Aug 14 04:10:25 AEST 1990

In <MIKEG.90Aug13092741 at c3.c3.lanl.gov> mikeg at c3.c3.lanl.gov (Michael P. Gerlek) writes:

>So, academic question: from what I understand, #error isn't guaranteed
>to stop compilation.  Can someone tell me why there isn't something
>like an "#abort error-message-here" directive that *would* terminate?
>Seems like this'd be really useful...

ummmm, maybe 'cause unix jocks are expected to keep up with silly things
like defining things in header files?  :)

Actually, with either a sharp programmer or something like Larry Wall's
"configure" script, it's not too hard to have these things taken care of,
ergo there *wasn't a need* for such things.... but, alas, with the size
and complexity and fuzziness of today's programs....

see also the .sig quote.

Glenn R. Stone
gs26 at prism.gatech.edu
Unix.  Op Sys with an attitude.