How to force cpp to abort?

Michael P. Gerlek mikeg at c3.c3.lanl.gov
Sun Aug 12 10:00:36 AEST 1990

I'm writing some machine dependent code...

#if defined(__convex__)
	(do Convex stuff)
#else
#if defined(cray)
	(do Cray stuff)
#else
#if defined(sun)
	(do Sun stuff)
#else
	(oops)	/* force abort */
#endif
#endif
#endif

Question: if the code is compiled on, say, a Vax, how do I force the
compiler (or perhaps cpp) to abort in the "oops" block above?  Sure, I
could throw in some syntactically bad code and force a syntax error,
but that's not really very clean.  Sure, too, I could conditonally
compile in an fprintf(stderr,"Machine not supported"), but the code
would have to be run - I want to cleanly abort at compile-time.

Suggestions?

[  M.P.Gerlek (mikeg at lanl.gov)                 -
[  Los Alamos Nat'l Lab / Merrimack College    -
[  Disclaimer: Yes, Mom, I'll play nice.       -
[  "My other machine's a multi-threaded YMP."  -