the f2c program

rick at tmiuv0.uucp rick at tmiuv0.uucp
Thu Aug 16 23:19:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug11.202542.9891 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
> On the computer research.att.com is a program called "f2c". It converts
> Fortran programs to, mostly, C. But it does NOT convert Fortran IO
> calls to C. Instead it just invokes some mysterious io routines. I
> take these to be somebody's Fortran IO runtime library - indeed, there
> are linking with certain libraries. But WHOSE libraries?

The mysterious routines are libf77 and libi77, available from the same
source.  I quote from the index for f2c:

    libf77  Library of non I/O support routines the generated C may need.
            Fortran main programs result in a C function named MAIN__ that
            is meant to be invoked by the main() in libf77.

    libi77  Library of Fortran I/O routines the generated C may need.
            Note that some vendors (e.g., BSC, Sun, and MIPS) provide a
            libF77 and libI77 that are incompatible with f2c -- they
            provide some differently named routines or routines with the
            names f2c expects, but with different calling sequences.
            On such systems, the recommended procedure is to merge
            libf77 and libi77 into a single library, say libf2c and
            install it where you can access it by specifying -lf2c.

The libraries and source are available from the same source as f2c.

> Doug McDonald(mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355 at compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."