#define OR ||

Guy Shaw shaw at paralogics.UUCP
Wed Feb 7 08:31:07 AEST 1990

In article <21944 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>,
yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) writes:

> I think that more info can be transferred more effectively using a mentor
> approach. There is nothing wrong with asking questions and getting
> answers quickly and easily. This is especially true if you are getting
> up to speed on a new editor/language/OS.
>
> Of course this breaks down if the mentor is an asshole. In that case the
> "mentor" should be sent packing and a replacement found.
>
> I think that any good manager would not allow RTFM to be a viable
> response to a legitimate question.

Good luck finding a mentor who will put up with a lazy acolyte.

Often, RTFM is a the best response from a mentor.  The reason that the
mentor "system" (whether it be official or unofficial) has endured for
so long, in spite of its inefficiency, is because there are things that
can be taught that way that go beyond what can be gotten from books,
or any other method.  Good mentors are a rare and precious resource.
Using them simply as a more convenient substitute for reference books
is an abuse of their time.

Of course, "assholes" can say RTFM, too (usually to hide the fact that
they don't know, either).  So, the RTFM test, by itself, tells you
very little.  For your own sake, the next time you decide to send
someone packing, I hope many other more important things are taken
into consideration.  If not your best mentors will be sent packing,
and you won't even know what you missed.

The sad thing is, it seems there are so many who don't know what they
missed and don't know what I'm talking about.

Sorry.  Back to comp.lang.c.
--
Guy Shaw
Paralogics