New assignment operator ->= ?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Feb 24 04:46:11 AEST 1990

In article <680019 at hpmwjaa.HP.COM> jeffa at hpmwtd.HP.COM (Jeff Aguilera) writes:
>> Also, can anyone (and I'm sure someone can) tell me how to contact the ANSI
>> C committee?
>
>Do you really think that they would listen?

They would listen, but their response would probably be:

	(a) Come back in five years when ANSI C is due for revision.

	(b) You will get a much more favorable hearing then if you have
	implemented this feature and used it; there is no substitute for
	real experience when deciding whether a feature is practical and
	useful.  Almost everything actually adopted for ANSI C had been
	tried in a compiler first.

	(c) The need seems slight; you're going to have to make a very
	good case for it to justify changing an existing language.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu