Legal uses of lex & yacc

Jim McCabe MCCABE at MTUS5.BITNET
Mon Feb 19 02:47:19 AEST 1990

I've recently become familiar with lex and yacc, and am wondering about
the legal status of the code generated by these programs.  Is it legal to
use a yacc-generated compiler (and a lex-generated lexical analyzer)
for part of a public-domain software package?  For example, if I used lex
and yacc in a language interpreter I wrote, would it be permissable to
distribute my program freely over networks and such?  In the Sun lex and
yacc manuals, they never mention this at all, so I'm worried.  ;)

                                                Jim McCabe
                                                MCCABE @ MTUS5.BITNET