problems/risks due to programming language

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Feb 27 02:28:35 AEST 1990

First of all, my point about gotos had nothing to do with your point
about gotos.

In article <8145 at hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu at hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>    Many (including Peter) have re-observed that this is the way C's switch
>    currently operates, but to date nobody has provided any justification for
>    having it continue to operate that way.

I'm not going to bother continuing this discussion. The very article you were
referencing shows an example of how the C switch construct may be profitably
used. I can show you the working code I based that example on, if you like.
By all means make 'break' the default... but provide a convenient (not
involving explicit gotos) method of falling through to the next case.

The construct you seek has existed in C from the beginning:

#define CASE switch {
#define WHEN break; case
#define OR : case
#define DO :