New assignment operator ->= ?

Wietse Venema wswietse at tuewse.lso.win.tue.nl
Wed Feb 21 21:05:43 AEST 1990

wietse at wzv.win.tue.nl (Wietse Z. Venema):

    Unfortunately, such language features would
    prohibit other language perversions such as:

	a ^+= b <-> a ^= a += b <-> a = a ^ a + b
	p ->= q <-> p -= p >= q <-> p = p - p > q

mayoff at walt.cc.utexas.edu (Rob "The" Mayoff):

    While I am sure you at least partially joking, it seems that you
    dislike my suggestion.

No fundamental objections from my side; my remark was intended as a
reminder that one should be careful in proposing a language extension.
New features may prohibit the implementation of other ones. The ^+=
example was NOT intended as an example of a useful language extension.