getting a key from stdin in UNIX

T. William Wells bill at twwells.com
Sun Feb 11 16:27:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb8.130910.9083 at druid.uucp> darcy at druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
: In article <5206 at convex.convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
: >I strongly believe that any vendor who gives you a C compiler
: >without lint is ripping you off.  It's like not having any
: >brakes or directions on your car.  Get on the horn and bitch.
: >
: No thanks.  I use Borland Turbo C with all the warnings turned on and GNU C
: with the -Wall option and I'll take that over lint any day.  I actually get
: useful messages about what is wrong with the program as opposed to those
: crypto-facist messages that lint gives me.  I can get by for the rest of my
: life without looking at another output from lint.

I use them both. The cost of running a "finished" program through
every checker you have before releasing it is generally negligable
compared to the cost of the errors that would otherwise appear.

Actually, any time I have a not immediately obvious bug during
development of a program, the first thing I do is run it through
gcc with all the bells and whistles on and/or lint before even
attempting to debug further. (Which I use first is mostly a
matter of chance; it depends on how my makefiles happened to be
set up that moment.)

---
Bill                    { uunet | novavax | ankh } !twwells!bill
bill at twwells.com