Wildcard Expansion

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Fri Feb 2 02:58:05 AEST 1990

In article <9460 at ttidca.TTI.COM> paulb at ttidca.TTI.COM (Paul Blumstein) writes:
>In article <8466 at pogo.WV.TEK.COM> bluneski at pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) writes:
>>Does anyone have a general wildcard expansion code...
>See if your system has re_comp & re_exec...

Wildcard globbing is not the same thing as regexp matching.  You could do it
that way, but you'd have to translate the wildcard pattern to a regexp first.

Also, re_comp and re_exec are Berkeleyisms.  On SysV you're more likely to
have <regexp.h> instead.  (Henry Spencer's regexp routines are better than
either of those, so that may be the best approach.)

I've sent Paul a globbing routine by email.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.ima.isc.com or harvard!ima!karl), The Walking Lint