Help with function

Gary L. Randolph randolph at ektools.UUCP
Fri Jan 12 02:18:26 AEST 1990

In article <3198 at cbnewsj.ATT.COM> veenu at cbnewsj.ATT.COM (veenu.r.rashid) writes:
>	On the compiler I'm using, abs() and strtol() seem to generate incorrect
>or at least inaccurate results.  I'm using the following code:
>main(int argc, char *argv[])
>{
>	double temp;
>
>	temp = strtod(argv[1]);		/* get the argument as a double	*/
>	printf("Absolute value of %g is %g\n", temp, abs(temp));
>}
>Any code, suggestions, comments greatly appreciated.

Well, I can't duplicate the problem.  I am using cfront 2.0 on a Sun and
all seems to work fine but I did have to make the following changes to
the code:

       I used fabs() rather than abs()
       I called strtod as follows:

               temp = strtod(argv[1], NULL)  /*ANSI definition*/ your
results was impossible.  If that's all you are missing, I would be
dissappointed that the compiler didn't generate an error.
This is the sort of thing that would cause the described flakey
behavior.

:
-
)