Beginning programming

Kevin_P_McCarty at cup.portal.com Kevin_P_McCarty at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 21 18:35:37 AEST 1990

In <2810 at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, Cliff Joslyn writes:
> Following suggestions from this list, we're using Kochan's /Programming
> in ANSI C/ as a text combined w/K+R v.  2.  I found a C tutorial on
> Simtel good as a guide on what to cover in what order, and the /C Puzzle
> Book/ and Koenig's /C Traps and Pitfalls/ as good sources of quiz and
> test problems.  I'm making my own programming assignments.

It may be too late for your class, but I notice that Plum Hall has
recently updated and republished the following classics:

Thomas Plum, "Learning to Program in C" (*)
Thomas Plum, "C Programming Guidelines" (*)
Thomas Plum, "Reliable Data Structures in C"
Thomas Plum and Jim Brodie, "Efficient C"

(*) (updated for ANSI C)

"Learning to Program in C" is the one I learned from (back then it was
one of the only ones), and I haven't seen a text yet that comes close
to matching it.  As far as I can tell, Thomas Plum's book is the only
one which lives up to its title:  Learning to _Program_ in C.  Most
other texts I have seen should be titled "Discovering Loaded Weapons
in C" and spend too little time on how to keep your feet clear of the
line of fire.

"Learning to Program" and "Reliable Data Structures" both contain
advice and insights which are highly valuable and, curiously, aren't
easily found elsewhere.  For example, "Learning" is copiously
annotated with warnings about machine dependencies, os dependencies
and compiler dependencies, and how to program to be independent of
them.  I am glad to see these books updated and available again.

Kevin McCarty