Beginning programming

CCEL ccel at chance.uucp
Thu Jan 18 15:27:01 AEST 1990

This may seem terribly mundane, but I need a little help.

I am going to be a teaching assistant for two beginner's classes
in C programming next semester, and I am responsible for assigning
and grading all the programming projects. I've never had a class
in C, I just kind of taught myself over the years, and consider
myself a proficient and well-rounded C progarmmer. Problem is,
I don't know what kind of assignments I should give the poor
hapless budding CS undergrads. The system they will be using runs
Unix, but I think any nice juicy system calls or OS based stuff
would be over their heads.

If anyone has any syllabi (syllabuses?) for a C class they could
send me, or any "basic concepts" that I should be certain to include
it would be very helpful. No need to spawn (fork?) a discussion
about the basic philosophy of C, but a set of guidelines or
suggestions would help immensely.  Please use e-mail, I'm sure
everyone else in the world doesn't want to see such mundane
prattle in this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.

Randy Tidd
rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org