Ada speed vs. C...

Jim Miller jamiller at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Fri Mar 16 06:25:24 AEST 1990

>/ hpcupt1:comp.lang.c / dd at sei.cmu.edu (Dennis Doubleday) /  6:14 am  Mar 14, 1990 /
>hammondr at sunroof.crd.ge.com (Richard A Hammond) writes:
>>2) Ada runtime checks should be disabled for comparison to other languages!
>
>And why not?  If it's pure speed you're after, then you can have it in
>Ada by disabling runtime checks.  Why is this an unfair comparison?  C
>gives you no runtime checks, so why should its execution speed be
>compared to that of Ada with runtime checks enabled?  On the other
>hand, if you're willing to sacrifice a little speed for runtime
>security, then Ada is also a good choice.
>
>--
>Dennis Doubleday  (dd at sei.cmu.edu)                     _   /|

Why not? because the pupose of a benchmark should show how the languages
are going to be used.  Not how they could be used.  Mentioned previously
was that the C test called routines instead of having the code inline
-- which is what I do in the *few* spots that speed counts.

So, either compare normal usage, or speed hack usage, but not
your speed hack to other's normal use.

   jim - it's my opinion so it is TRVTH - miller