FREE

I Wish khan at milton.acs.washington.edu
Tue Mar 6 02:47:10 AEST 1990

In article <2353 at dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright at Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:

>The reasons are similar to the arguments about not using goto. calloc works
>fine and is portable. Whether or not you use it is a religious issue.

[...]

>And no, I don't care about machines where 0.0 and NULL are not 0 bit
>patterns. If someday I should be unfortunate enough to run across one,
>I'll worry about it then!

Calloc will set up a zero-bit pattern on any machine....  if you are
depending on this meaning floating-point zero or the null pointer, then
it won't do that some machines, so it can't be called "portable."

(As an aside, does a VAX, with floating-point descriptors or whatever
 it uses, treat zero-bytes as float 0.0?)
--
"indecipherable strangers handing out inexplicable humiliation and an
 unidentified army of horsemen laughing at him in his head ..."