compoundNames

Ian Feldman ianf at nada.kth.se
Thu Mar 29 05:07:06 AEST 1990

  Does anyone know the origins (and/or the etymology) of the compound
  variable (and other item) naming convention ie, `variableName'
 `otherItem' etc., in which the two or more parts of someThing are
  delimited by its consecutive parts' beginning letters uppercase
  state, with no spaces in between.  I assume it to have come about
  because of some specific compiler's requirement of strictly alpha
  letters in its variable names.  I believe also to have seen it in
  use around 1985, though I don't quite recall in what circumstances.
  It would be interesting to find out who was the original
  `motherFather' of such a construct.

  Please enlighten.

--Ian Feldman /  ianf at nada.kth.se  ||  uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf / "There, Watson!
             /  obviously he is not the ImageWriter hacker we suspected him of"