Nested Comments in C -- A recent experience

Tapani Tarvainen tarvaine at tukki.jyu.fi
Sun Mar 11 20:30:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar11.065712.9798 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu> crds at pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Glenn A. Emelko) writes:

>If the C compiler understood nested comments it would FORCE
>programmers to match them, preventing wasted hours of debugging on
>annoying problems like the above at the expense of a few milliseconds
>of additional compile time.

Turbo C has a compile-time switch for allowing nested comments.
The only use for it I've come up with so far is catching missing
comment delimiters:  If the program compiles differently with
the switch than without it, it's more than likely that a comment
delimiter has been omitted.

--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine at jyu.fi, tarvainen at finjyu.bitnet)