Sticky IBM C programming problems (summary of replies)

Rich Walters raw at math.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 2 10:25:09 AEST 1990

In article <9003012109.AA07700 at ei.ecn.purdue.edu> tlmfe at EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mark B Strong) writes:

>Quick question:  Why won't an environmental variable I change within
>a C program stay after the program is terminated?  Setenv() doesn't seem
>to work?

Assuming this is in a UNIX machine:

The program is run in a separate shell unless you explicitly run it in the
current shell (not recommened.)  Thus the program only 'sees' the envirion-
ment variables that are explicitly EXPORTED from your login shell.

I am fairly sure that this is correct for the bourne shell and the korn shell.
I don't know about the c shell.

				Richard Walter