Who is the X3J11 committee?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Sun Mar 18 06:58:47 AEST 1990

In article <670 at sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:

| That rambling introduction brings me to my question.  Who was on the committee
| and what were their qualifications?  And if Joe Blow wanted to be on one what
| qualifications would he need?  And no I am not volunteering for the next
| standards committee so you can stop jotting my name down right now :-)

  I was on the committee for the first two and a bit years, and my only
qualification was that I had been teaching C for various GE and outside
companies for 3-4 years, and had been doing a lot of portability work in
the company.

  I left the committee because the time it required distressed my
management, and the group I was in at that time was not charged with
that kind of work. If there is another standard I expect to be on the
committee again, since I'm now in the right group.

  As far as I know the only real qualification is working for a company
which will pay $300/year and T&L. For most of the ttime I was there I
was one of only two "C users" who didn't work for a company which sold a
C compiler.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX