C strongly typed?

Erland Sommarskog sommar at enea.se
Sat Mar 10 10:06:59 AEST 1990

Henry Spencer (henry at utzoo.uucp) writes:
)No, because the somewhat-misnamed "typedef" explicitly declares a synonym,
)not a new type.  However, if you write something like:
)
)	char *p;
)	int a;
)	...
)	a = p;
)
)any modern compiler will object.  C's type system is not extensible unless
)you count "struct", but the language is strongly typed -- mixing random
)types is not allowed.

Well, apparently I am allowed to mix apples and oranges. If I have
two types of data that both happens to be represented by integers,
but have no logical connection what so ever I cannot apparently
express that in C. And consequently I cannot take help from the
compiler to catch inadvertent mixups in for instance procedure calls.

Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar at enea.se