exception handling in C

D G Booth duncanb at ibmpcug.co.uk
Sat Mar 10 18:54:09 AEST 1990

There was a paper about exception handling in C in Software Practice and
Experience back about 1981 (sorry, I dont have the exact reference on me).
That handled exceptions with code like:

exception FILE_ERROR;
BEGIN
   f = fopen("afile", "r");
   if (f == NULL) exc_raise(FILE_ERROR);
   ... normal case code.
EXCEPTION
   WHEN(FILE_ERROR)
       ... handle file error
   WHEN(OTHERS)
       ... handle other errors.
       exc_reraise();	/* Pass exception out to next level */
END

I have been using this code (with a few minor changes of my own)
for some time. It is neat and quite clean.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not