do...while vs. repeat...until (was: Errors aren't that simple)

Rick Schaut schaut at cat9.cs.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 28 23:36:04 AEST 1990

In article <KZB#G{_ at rpi.edu> night at pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) writes:
| An interesting note that might give some perspective to this issue is how
| Plus, a little-known language that I'm somewhat familiar with, handles loops.
| Instead of having both while and do..while forms of loops, it uses one form
| called cycle.  Cycle is an infinite loop.  You can then stick exit statements
| anywhere in the loop (and then can be conditional, with both flavors of tests
| supported).  Conceptually, it's a more general way of handling loops.

This is the second request I've seen for a loop construct that allows an
exit from anywhere in the loop.  Is there something drastically wrong with:

for(;;) {
   <statements>
   if (expr)
      break;
   <statements>
}

or have I missed something here?

--
Rick (schaut at garfield.cs.wisc.edu)

"I'm a theory geek; we use Turing machines!"--Gary Lewandowski