C strongly typed?

Todd M. Lewis utoddl at uncecs.edu
Thu Mar 15 23:30:44 AEST 1990

In article <6475 at bd.sei.cmu.edu> firth at sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>Well, I know of a minor programming language that allows one to
>achieve most of what is required at a fairly low cost in language
>feature overhead.  The concepts and their rationale are explained
>in the "Rationale for the Design of the Ada programming language",
>sections 7.2 and 7.3.  Examples there of types with implied units
>are FRANC and MARK, DOLLAR and CENT, LENGTH and AREA.  You might
>want to look it up.

Hey, this sounds really neat.  Tell me, how does the rationale
deal with keeping the conversions from FRANCs to MARKs to DOLLARs
and CENTs?  I've been using a file with the conversion factors
in it for my own stuff, but that's always seemed just a little
too cavalier for my tastes, what with these values changing by
the second in the real world.  I'm glad to see the solution
so well worked out that it becomes part of the rationale for
designing a language!  Wow!