Why does C hate 2d arrays?

roy schmidt rschmidt at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue May 29 01:32:19 AEST 1990

In article <5391 at helios.TAMU.EDU> john at stat.tamu.edu (John S. Price) writes:
>In article <ASHERMAN.90May21052525 at dino.ulowell.edu> asherman at dino.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) writes:
>>[stuff deleted]
>> C needs variable length arrays. Anything else is just forcing work
>>onto the programmer or the machine or both that should be the compiler's
>>job.
>>			-AJS
>
>But, I ask again, why?  There really isn't a need...

Exactly so!  The price we pay for the fantastic flexibility which C
gives us is the burden of doing such tasks ourselves.  Sure, we could
have the compiler do a lot of things, but for each of these, we would
lose the opportunity to do it differently...and that is the essence of
C!  If you are fed up with this, then do it in BASIC!  You can get away
with murder in BASI
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>           | |
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts,        | |
Graduate School of Business |     and you can't have them,      <   >
Bloomington                 |     so there! */                    X