Power C Compiler

Gary Bastin 60293 gbastin at x102c.harris-atd.com
Sat May 5 00:09:55 AEST 1990

In article <29356 at ut-emx.UUCP> rchan at ut-emx.UUCP (Ricardo Chan) writes:
>I just got an order card for a C compiler called "Power C",
>sold by "MIX Software" from Richardson, TX.
>
>Does anybody have any experiense with this package?
>
>The price advertised is $19.95 +$5 shipping + 8%tax.

I have been using Power C Compiler and Power C-Trace debugger
for some time now.  I initially purchased versions 1.30 and 1.20 of these
two products for a C class I was taking at the time.  Version 2.0 is
now out for both, and I recently upgraded.  Overall, I have been
very impressed with the performance, not only for the class, which is long
since over, but for day to day use.  The compiler is a little slower
than some of the other products on the market, but the executibles
are often smaller and faster than Turbo C and Microsoft C.  The
memory models in Power C are now expanded beyond just the medium
model that was available initially.  As for compatibility, I
found it very nice (especially for the C class) to be able to
take advantage of Turbo C, Microsoft C and System V functions that
were all being taught without having to switch platforms to compile
the code.  Power C is a super set of the three, with very few
problems in having all three.  It also is ANSI C, as well as K&R.

The best part of all is the Power C-Trace debugger.  It is the
easiest debugger to use I have seen.  I have just ordered
the library source code, and assembler, and will soon be able
to evaluate these products.  Overall, the Power C tools are
quite a bargain, especially considering the price.  The documentation
is vastly better than what Borland and Microsoft provide, making
it especially useful when learning C!  (I have no connection with
Mix Software except as a satisfied customer.)

Gary Bastin              /-/-/      Internet: gbastin at x102c.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4826         |        phone: (407) 729-3045
Harris Corporation GASD    |        packet: WB4YAF @ N4JLR.FL.USA.NA
P.O.B. 94000, Melbourne FL 32902    Speaking from, but not for, Harris!