C obfuscator

Peter Rowell peter at thirdi.UUCP
Tue May 29 03:25:35 AEST 1990

In article <12546 at netcom.UUCP> ergo at netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
>I don't think I care for your purposes.  The last time I encountered this
>   [ deleted - a massive flashback into an alternate reality ]
>Such greedy double-dipping is beneath contempt.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

The most obvious reasons for doing this are (1) to allow users to
recompile when they get new OS releases that are not ".o" compatible
with previous versions, and (2) permit a modicum of portability to
different systems without giving away the whole farm.  Although #2 is
more difficult to do, it is possible to leave the really dicey parts
(normally stty stuff and other I/O related cruft) as clear text and
obfuscate the more portable stuff.

Making the effort to give the user some control over (possibly very
expensive) commercial software is laudable.

I think you owe David a *serious* apology.

Peter Rowell				peter at thirdi.uucp
Third Eye Software, Inc.		...!{apple,pyramid,sun}!thirdi!peter
535 Middlefield Road, Suite 170		(415) 321-0967
Menlo Park, CA  94025