Microsoft C 6.0 (and YOUR problems...)

Jim Harkins jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP
Thu May 10 02:16:03 AEST 1990

In article <2134 at dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil> nol2321 at dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) writes:

>>The MSC6 owner writes...
>>
>> Yes, the original problem, my biggest compaint about C 6.0 is not the
>> load time (that is a smaller gripe) but the time (almost 1 minute)
>> to compile a   """"""" 1 """"""""""" line program !!!!!!!!!
>Besides, HOW OFTEN DO YOU COMPILE 1 LINE PROGRAMS IN ANY TYPE OF
>"REAL" WORK!!!???!!!
>
>Be serious, try a 1000 line program with both and THEN HARP about it!
>:)

This doesn't belong here so followups have been sent to the ibm group.  Anyway,
a few years ago I used the MSC 5.0 compiler and was wondering about the compile
times for my short (10-300 line) files.  After screwing around a while I
decided that until your source file gets to be 400 lines or more you spend
more time reading the compiler off the hard disk and initializing it than you
do compiling your file.

When you talk about 1000 line programs I certainly hope it is in several files.

--
jim		jharkins at sagpd1

My new investment plan GUARENTEES a 50% rate of return!  Just mail me $10,000
and I promise you'll get $5,000 back.