Fast screen drawing...

Scott Amspoker scott at bbxsda.UUCP
Sat May 5 06:11:11 AEST 1990

In article <12641 at wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen at wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>In article <24493 at usc.edu> dank at skat.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:
>>I'm using Turbo C to write an application that does a lot of text
>>drawing (normal characters, not graphics or bitmapped) on platforms
>>ranging from XTs to '386s and have noticed that the printing speed
>>coming out of printf(), puts(), and putch() is dreadfully slow.  Has
>>anyone else noticed this?  Am I missing something?
>
>Yep, all of those functions are slow since they go through DOS.  You have
>several options (listed in order of compatibility and reverse order of speed):
>
>[suggestions deleted]

Before you go off and do bios calls, read the Turbo C manual.  There
are some routines that are non-portable that you may use to do
console i/o.  Furthermore, there is a global flag that you can
set telling TC to go directly to the video ram.  I don't remember
the name of this flag at the moment.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM