Prototypes for macros?

Evan Manning gleeper at tybalt.caltech.edu
Fri May 4 06:24:03 AEST 1990

I ran into an interesting situation yesterday playing with my brand
new Turbo C 2.0.  I was trying to use it with all warnings and errors
enabled, as I'd heard it claimed that this obviated all need for lint
(At my previous job I got quite attached to PC-Lint from Gimpel but now
it's my money so I thought I'd at least give Turbo a chance.)

The problem emerged when I tried to use some functions (randomize &
random) which are defined as macros in the headers.  TC gave me a
'no prototype in scope' warning and then some other error message I
don't recall when I disabled the prototype warning.  All problems
vanished when I slavishly copied the definitions of the macros from
the header.

Is it a bug?  Should macros have prototypes too?  Will I have to worry
about putchar et al?

-- Evan

Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT for so | Evan M. Manning
long.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how restful it is  |      is
to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The  | gleeper at tybalt.caltech.edu
opinions stated above are yours.  You cannot       | manning at mars.jpl.nasa.gov
imagine why you ever felt otherwise.               |