Re^2: Why does C hate 2d arrays?

Dolf Grunbauer dolf at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
Mon May 28 07:18:15 AEST 1990

In article <265e1de4-26d.17comp.lang.c-1 at vpnet.chi.il.us> akcs.fish at vpnet.chi.il.us (Gil Winograd) writes:
>Recently I had to write C code to handle a data structure which
>consisted of *variably dimensioned* AND *variable size per dimension*
>arrays. Of course, it was implemented as a one-dimensional array,
>through which I had to go through involved calculations to get the
>index right
>Does Algol/Pascal handle this situation any better?

No, the number of dimensions is fixed in Algol6{0,8}/Pascal.
APL & APL2 are the only languages I know of which allow changing the
number of dimensions of an array at run-time.
Maybe we should continue this non-C discussion in comp.misc ?
Dolf Grunbauer      Tel: +31 55 433233 Internet dolf at idca.tds.philips.nl
Philips Information Systems            UUCP     ...!mcsun!philapd!dolf
Dept. BS Software,  P.O. Box 245, 7300 AE Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
read: error in reading .signature