Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on comp.lang.c (Abridged)

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Fri May 18 22:04:47 AEST 1990

This article contains minimal answers to the comp.lang.c frequently
asked questions list.  Please see the long version for more detailed
explanations.

1.  What is this infamous null pointer, anyway?

A:  For each pointer type, there is a special value -- "null" -- which
    is distinguishable from all other pointer values and which is not
    the address of any object.

    Sec. 5.3 p. 91.

2.  How do I "get" a null pointer in my programs?

A:  A constant 0 in a pointer context is converted into a null pointer
    at compile time.  A "pointer context" is an assignment or comparison
    with one side a variable of pointer type, and (in ANSI standard C) a
    function argument which has a prototype in scope declaring a certain
    argument as being of pointer type.  In other contexts (function
    arguments without prototypes, or in the variable part of variadic
    functions) a constant 0 with an appropriate explicit cast is
    required.

    A7.10 p. 207, Sec. A7.17 p. 209.  H&S Sec. 4.6.3 p. 72.

3.  But aren't pointers the same as ints?