Pascal (might have once been Re: for(;;) vs. while(1) is a draw)

John A. Weeks III john at newave.UUCP
Thu May 31 13:25:38 AEST 1990

In article <3104 at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <1751 at tkou02.enet.dec.com>, diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com (diamond at tkovoa) writes:
>: 1>	program main;
>--------------------^ (output) should be declared because it is used!

>: >(I count three violations of the Pascal Standard.)

This has very little to do with "C"--but there can still be a lesson in
this.  By far, the largest installed base of Pascal is Turbo Pascal.  As
a result, the standard has little to do with most Pascal code.

There are also C programmers in this situation.  One of the machines I
write code for has no concept of a file, terminal, error handling, and
it does not allow the programmer to define a "main" procedure.  This
kind of makes most of the "standard library" useless and the C code
is quite unique to that machine.  I sure hope my review is not based
on my conformance to the "standard".

-john-