Fast screen drawing...

Dan King dank at skat.usc.edu
Fri May 4 08:32:20 AEST 1990

I've been reading this group for a couple of weeks now, and haven't
seen this mentioned, so I feel fairly confident that it's not a
question that gets asked every two days.

I'm using Turbo C to write an application that does a lot of text
drawing (normal characters, not graphics or bitmapped) on platforms
ranging from XTs to '386s and have noticed that the printing speed
coming out of printf(), puts(), and putch() is dreadfully slow.  Has
anyone else noticed this?  Am I missing something?

Even just when puts()ing constant strings in a "tiny" memory model
(does this make a difference?), it's pretty slow.  I'd rather not
write inline code to do my own character writing but that looks like
what it comes down to.  Has anyone else solved this problem?

dank