IEEE arithmetic in C

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Sat May 5 07:47:30 AEST 1990

In article <272 at garth.UUCP> dneff at garth.UUCP (David Neff) writes:

| Not being a Sun expert, I'm limiting my comments to the IEEE spec.
|
| In article <1990Apr27.173218.19870 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
| >(1) Where's the support for extended-format variables?
| >
| >(2) Where's the support for extended format *at all* with the high-speed
| >	floating-point add-ons?  Extended format is not optional in IEEE!
|
| If I'm not mistaken, extended precision is not required for IEEE
| conformance.  And in any case, double precision is a perfectly
| conforming representation for single extended.

If it were otherwise, then the MIPS and 88k implementations would be
illegal, since they only have single and double precision.

It's been a long time, since I read 754, but I can't recall where it
talks about the format of any but single and double precisions.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so