Can lint help an ANSI-C programmer?

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Thu May 31 16:27:27 AEST 1990

In article <00937758.16FBE220 at rigel.efd.lth.se> e89hse at rigel.efd.lth.se writes:
> I don't see what lint discovers that a C-compiler with prototypes can't
>discover...

Lint discovers function call mismatches automatically, while
compilers using ANSI prototypes can do so only if the programmer
has religiously supplied prototypes for all functions.  For me,
providing full prototypes (even with the aid of an automatic
prototype generator) is far more work than keeping function calls
correct by hand, and correcting the occasional problems that lint
detects.

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu