sizeof(struct) and padding

Gregory M. Stelmack stelmack at screamer.csee.usf.edu
Sat Oct 20 14:07:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct20.003222.25439 at athena.mit.edu> scs at adam.mit.edu (Steve Summit) writes:

>My $64,000 question is: why are so many poor souls condemned to
>try to read and write binary data files?  Yes, it is easy and

You mention that this has been debated here, but I haven't seen it in the 6
months or so I've been reading the group, and I do have a response: Many of us
use binary files because our OS does not differentiate between text and binary
files. My Suns at school do not even have the ability to choose which one to
open -- look at my recent question about reading/writing binary files...
So, I'd just as soon stick with my binary files...might as well with binary
data.

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack at sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!
-- IRAQNOPHOBIA: Nothing a little RAID wouldn't cure!