Life after free?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
Thu Oct 4 18:24:37 AEST 1990

In article <2539 at cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In <26770 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>    The compiler is free to, as Ron Natalie once put it, stuff arguments
>    into an envelope and mail them off to the function being called...

> This idea has always seemed so quaint, but I wonder if it really works
> for pointers?

It works just fine.  What you overlooked is that when you want to
dereference a pointer, you have to mail it _back_ to me!
(As it happens, there are multiprocessor implementations of certain
programming languages where this very thing happens, interpreting
"put in an envelope and mail" as "put in a packet and squirt down a wire".)
--
Fixed in the next release.